Date 9th February, 2023
Course Aims & Objectives
At the end of this course participants will have a better understanding of how formulas are constructed and will have a thorough knowledge of how to structure a spreadsheet and database within Excel.
Who Should Attend?
This course is specifically for those who already have some experience of Excel and know how to input data and format a spreadsheet. It will specifically be of interest to those who are working on spreadsheets created by others but want to know how to understand and manage their own formulas and workbooks. You should already know how to create charts/graphs. You do not need to know anything about formulas.
This course will take place online. We will use the ZOOM application to facilitate the training. All participants must have a copy of Microsoft Excel on their laptop or PC. Ideally the version of Excel will be from Office 365 or Office 2013/16/19. You must have internet access. Your laptop or PC must have either built-in or connected speakers and also have a webcam. You will be sent an invitation to join the course and you may need to download and install the ZOOM app if it is not already on your computer.
The course content may include the items listed below.
Charts/Graphs, Sheet Construction/Layout and Formatting are covered at Level 1 - Introduction.
Items not listed here (including PivotTables, “Nesting” Functions, PowerPivot, Power Bi, VBA and Macros) are not covered on this course and are covered at a higher level.
• Building Formulas and Functions.
• Understanding the difference between “relative” and “absolute” cell references.
• Understanding and using dates in calculations.
• Creating Custom formats for dates and numbers.
• Introduction to the IF function.
• Using VLOOKUP (and XLOOKUP) function.
• Using the SUMIF(s) and COUNTIF(s) functions.
• Conditional Formatting.
• Working with Text and using common TEXT functions.
• “Cleaning” imported data.
• Understand how to construct an effective database within Excel.
• Learn how to future proof your databases with the use of Tables.
• Understand and use a selection of key functions: